The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men Gang aft agley

Over a year with no turning.   Nowt seems to go right.

Carpal Tunnel release operation on my right wrist in September 2019 put a bit of a crimp on things, still not got full strength back or much feeling in fingers, but its a 12-month recovery process anyway

Got a right tit-lip on with the lathe,  2 bearing changes later and its howling like buggery.  Need to get better bearings, but COVID has put a right damper on things.

BUT…

I now have a white wheel on the grinder so tool sharpening should be a better experience (though a Sorby pro grind would be nice)
So, plans plans plans…

Stage one is to clear the shed, it’s become a bit of a dumping ground, followed by anchoring the grinder to the bench to avoid ‘wandering’ and optimise sharpening.

Stage two is to crack on turning, don’t care what the wood is…  have got Umbilo, Zebrano, Lime, Sycamore, Padauk, and Mahogany to have a go at, plus several logs of unknown ancestry that have been donated over the years.
I need to get the confidence back that I’ve lost, plus it will help with my mental health which isn’t exactly the best at the moment.

I’m also tempted to start videoing what I’m doing, even if only to identify where I’m cocking things up.)

Watch this space…   (but not too closely eh.. 😉 )

Bugger…

Well to say things have been slow since the Snotty Log would be an understatement.

Turning wise, nothing seems to have gone right, from experiencing poor results to discovering a bearing issue on the lathe which still isn’t resolved, mainly due to my clumsiness.

Adding into that the discovery that I am suffering from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and it just gets better…

However,  once the lathe is back together (hopefully this coming weekend) the plan is to finish off one of the pieces that got put to one side and, fingers crossed, hammer through the wood pile.

 

Turning the Snotty Log – Part Three

Given the state of the wood as found, I am more than happy with the results.   The woodworm holes and other artifacts give it an extra helping of character that you just don’t get from a well prepared blank…

 

 

Hampshire Sheen High Gloss has worked really well on this piece with the exception of it collecting in the wormholes, but filling them with epoxy or acrylic didn’t seem the right direction to go in.

So if anyone reading this has any bright ideas, please let me know…

 

 

 

 

Turning The Snotty Log

A few years ago I found a ‘lump’ of timber at the side of the road following some tree maintenance.  It was pretty waterlogged due to the weather at the time,  so I put it to one side in the shed and forgot about it.

Roll forward to the present, and the initial rough work whilst deciding what to do with it is below.

4FD87417-6587-4F7A-B85E-1DD014F4C342890E1569-FDFC-4A8E-842B-1E09D5BA3F2D73D67927-0B77-4C26-8E18-767C931C188C

It was put aside again at this point as I was unsure as to whether to proceed given the wormage and soft spots present in the wood.

However, the internet is a wonderful resource and after a bit of research I watered down some acrylic sealer, gave it a pretty good sousing and left it to dry.

The following pics show the outer well sanded and then coated with Danish Oil.

filefile1file2

There are a couple of areas that are giving concern and which may result in the outside needing more work, but we will see.

More to follow…

Mahogany Thins Revisited

Thin #1

Well the platter is still in the same state as it was back at the end of January… So I have decided to leave it as is.

I want to keep a reminder of what can happen when a piece isn’t finished as well as it should be, but I also want to move on and not obsess over it.   Not sure what the next thin will evolve into, but hopefully I’ll get the finish right.